Monday, August 13, 2012

Anona Fruit, the awesome contrast of pinks and greens, and remembering what you want to


  After days of seeing this unusual looking fruit for sale along the side of the road on the way to the beach and at the local markets I finally tried it tonight with some visiting friends.  I love its striking colors, subdued succulent green on the outside and varying shades of pink on the inside with large dark brown seeds.  I made the mistake of smelling it before eating it.  It doesn’t have the most pleasant smell and that interfered with my experience.  It does taste “pretty”, like strawberries and raspberries with the texture of overripe cantaloupe.  That’s the description we created and agreed upon tonight.  I can imagine that if I grew up eating it and it only came along once a year, I would probably love it.  I didn’t and I don’t, but I’m so glad I took the chance and tried it and shared it with friends for whom it was also new and unfamiliar.  The nice thing about memory is that you can pick and choose what you want to remember.  I choose to remember the awesome contrast of pinks and greens, along with the images of women sitting by the road with rows of Anona placed carefully on their sloping wooden tables awaiting passersby.

A different description…

Tetelque, a personal blog with sweet images of El Salvador, including ANONA

Lea en espanol sobre anonas
http://sanpedrononualco.blogspot.com/2009/08/cocecha-de-anonas.html

No comments:

Post a Comment